Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Some love and a rant, lucky you

Internet, I got my new baby today!
No, not that one.
I finally got my new car! We've been saving up ever since this baby got on it's way, and we took home our Honda Odyssey last night and spent the better part of today installing car seats. You guys, I'm driving 5 car seats around. And in a few months they will all hold (loud) children. We put the oldest three in the third row, Mico is on the drivers side, Sera is in the middle, and Pippa is on the passenger side. In the middle row we put the infant seat behind the drivers seat, and we put Viv's seat in the centre and slid it all the way forward, so I can hand her stuff from the front and she can't poke the baby, plus it gives the big kids more room in the back. The seat right behind the passenger seat is out, so there's lots of room for entering and exiting. The kids think the new car is cool, and it is SO MUCH EASIER to shove them all inside when there's room for them all and I don't have to crawl over anyone or anything to ensure all dependants are safely buckled up.
Cool. So I like my awesome (and clean!) supervan. Anyways.
I've heard a lot of parents discussing the topic of kids clothing recently, specifically dressing little girls like little girls. Okay. I agree completely that a preschooler running around in a tube top and miniskirt is inappropriate, HOWEVER. It's one thing to dress your daughter in age appropriate clothing, it's a whole other thing to constantly dress your girl like she's a china doll.
As a mother of three girls, I can tell you that they come in different shapes and sizes, and I would never put the same clothes on my two year old as I would my 3 year old, simply because they are so different. Picture this:
Sera is 6, she has a normal but solid build. This kid won't break easily, she's not a tiny little thing, she is average. Clothes are made with kids like her in mind.
Pippa is a pixie. The child turned 3 in February and wears size 18 months clothing. And it is roomy. She weighs less than 30 pounds. She is a feather, but she eats like crazy. Things fall of this girl, but she's the one people admire and hold up to their Perfect Little Girl Image. Pippa can wear anything and make it look dainty. She's the perfect breakable little china doll.
Viv is 2, and is twice as big as Pippa and 3/4 as big as Sera. Viv has baby fat, she's a chunky lil' girl, and she's wearing clothing for girls twice her age. Putting her in some crocheted little dress would be ridiculous.
These girls eat the same things, play the same things, breathe the same air. And they are so incredibly different, body wise. I don't see how putting Viv in leggings is unwomanly, she's 2! She's not a woman, she's a baby, and if she doesn't want to wear a lace dress, fine. You try and put it on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment